Print this page

Tenant Resources

Tenancy Services - who are we and what do we do

Tenancy Services are here to assist you from your first enquiry through to the end of your tenancy. We have established relationships with the Managing Agents in your appointed town and will endeavour to make your relocation as easy as possible. Housing Services has a dedicated Tenancy Services Officer for the locality you are appointed to. The role of the Tenancy Services Officer is to manage your application for housing, allocate housing under Housing Services' policy, manage any tenancy queries once you have occupied your property and to assist you when vacating. 

Each Tenancy Services Officer has a portfolio consisting of approximately 300 properties, each within the region they are responsible for.

  • Far North Coast and Illawarra (02) 8276 8014
  • Riverina (02) 8276 8013
  • Far North West (02) 8276 8012
  • Central West (02) 8276 8015

Eligibility for Housing

If you are a teacher employed under the Teaching Services Act 1980 or the TAFE Commission Act 1990 you are entitled to apply for accommodation in the town that you are appointed to (permanently or temporarily), for the period of your appointment. Casual teachers are entitled to apply for accommodation in the town where they are engaged by the school/TAFE, while they are employed at least three (3) days per week. Casual teachers have a lower priority for housing than permanent and temporary teachers. Please refer to our Housing and Eligibility Allocation Policy for more information on how we allocate our housing.

How to apply for Housing

You can submit an application for housing simply by clicking here
Application for Housing forms submitted via our website before 1.00pm are processed the same day, applications submitted after this time will be processed the following day.

Maintenance Request

Your Managing Agent is your first point of contact for any maintenance issues or requests. These requests must be made in writing to your Managing Agent by submitting the Maintenance Request Form, which can be emailed or posted to your Managing Agent. If you have submitted a Maintenance Request Form to your Managing Agent and you are dissatisfied with their response or level of service, please complete our online Maintenance Request Form and our Maintenance Officer will contact you.

Rental Bond Information

Teacher Housing Authority is required to charge a Rental Bond in accordance with the Residential Tenancies Act 2010. A Rental Bond is charged to all tenants residing in a property owned or managed by Housing Services.

  • You will be required to pay four (4) weeks of the market rent of your property as bond at the commencement of your tenancy
  • Permanent and temporary Teachers appointed longer than one term can elect to pay their bond by salary deduction over a maximum of four (4) fortnightly instalments
  • Casual teachers must make arrangements to pay their bond in one lump sum directly to Housing Services at the time the offer of accommodation is accepted
  • Your bond will be lodged with the Rental Bond Board (RBB), who will issue a receipt of acknowledgement and lodgement.

Vacating Advice

There are three things that you must do when preparing to move out:
1. Advise us in writing that you will be moving out by completing our Vacating Advice Form
2. Contact your Managing Agent to schedule the end of tenancy inspection and return of keys
3. Clean the property and arrange any work needed to return the property to the same condition as when you moved in. Please refer to the Vacating Checklist in your Tenant Handbook.

Please be aware you must give 21 days’ notice in writing to end the agreement after the fixed term of your Residential Tenancy Agreement has expired. If the fixed term is due to expire, you can give 14 days’ written notice that you will be vacating on or after the expiry date. Once we receive your Vacating Advice Form we will confirm your vacating date in writing and provide you with information about finalising your tenancy. Rent is chargeable to the end of your required notice period, keys must be returned on or before your vacating date or rent will be charged until the date your keys are received by your Agent.

If you need to move out urgently, for a short notice employment transfer for example, we may reduce the notice period. Please contact your Tenancy Services Officer on 1300 137 343 or email for further information.

Please Note:
• Your keys must be returned to your Agent’s office. Leaving keys with your flatmate, neighbour or principal is not an acceptable way to end your tenancy, unless previously arranged with Housing Services or your Managing Agent.
• Please remember to disconnect your utilities and re-direct your mail to your new address.

Forms for tenants